Friday, March 23, 2012

Collage, Assemblage, and Abstract Expressionism

About as far back as I can remember I've been influenced by collage and assemblage and art movements such as Dada, Constructivism, German Expressionism, and Abstract Expressionism.  Works by artists such as Kurt Schwitters, Joseph Cornell, Robert Rauschenberg, Larry Rivers, and Louise Nevelson have always had some form of influence on my work.  I find the freedom and immediacy of collage and juxtaposition of various forms and images inspiring.  Often while traveling I'll build up sketchbooks with both drawings and collage and often a combination the two techniques.  


Here are a couple of early collage/mixed media works of mine based off travel experiences.  My work is often documentary in nature. 


If art movements such as the above mentioned are of interest, this summer I'll be teaching an art appreciation class and much of it will be focused on 20th century art.  

No comments:

Post a Comment